Amazon IWAI partnership: Ground breaking collaboration between Amazon and IWAI, unlocking the potential of inland waterways for seamless cargo movement.
Amazon IWAI partnership: Amazon’s collaboration with IWAI allows leveraging various transport modes, ensuring faster, cost-effective, and sustainable delivery.
New Delhi, 22 November (City Times): In a ground breaking move, the Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) and Amazon Seller Services Private Limited (Amazon) have inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to revolutionize cargo movement through India’s water highways. This collaboration is set to redefine logistics efficiency, environmental sustainability, and economic development.
MoU Signed In The Presence Of Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal
Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal graced the MoU ceremony, hailing it as a pivotal moment for India’s waterways growth. Richard Teng, the newly appointed CEO of Binance, attended the ceremony, emphasizing the importance of this partnership.
Amazon IWAI MoU Understanding the Partnership
The agreement aims to facilitate cargo movement and transportation of customer shipments and products through inland waterways, primarily utilizing the Ganga (National Waterway 1). This collaboration aligns with global trends emphasizing water transport’s environmental friendliness, with waterways consuming significantly less fuel compared to rail and road transport.
The maiden voyage from Patna to Kolkata
Minister Sarbananda Sonowal envisions this partnership as a crucial step towards realizing Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of rejuvenating waterways for a self-reliant India. The maiden voyage, carrying e-commerce cargo, is poised to embark from Patna to Kolkata shortly.
Amazon IWAI partnership And Significance of the Collaboration
- This partnership aligns with the Maritime Amrit Kaal Vision 2047, promoting affordable and sustainable inland waterways transportation.
- Sagarmala, with projects worth Rs. 7,030 Crores, is accelerating water transport within the country, fostering economic growth.
10 Important Facts And Points Related To Amazon IWAI partnership
- Strategic Partnership: The collaboration between Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) and Amazon is a strategic move to leverage inland waterways for efficient cargo movement.
- Efficiency and Sustainability: Inland waterways, specifically the Ganga (National Waterway 1), provide a more efficient and sustainable mode of transportation compared to road and rail, reducing environmental impact.
- Optimizing Logistics: The partnership aims to optimize logistics by utilizing water transport, which consumes significantly less fuel than road and rail, according to a World Bank Report.
- Economic Development: Harnessing the efficiency of water transport is expected to promote economic development by reducing transportation costs, benefiting artisans, entrepreneurs, and traders.
- Government Vision: The initiative aligns with the government’s vision, as highlighted by Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal, to rejuvenate waterways and make them a crucial part of India’s growth as an Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- Maritime Amrit Kaal Vision 2047: The collaboration is a step towards realizing the Hon’ble Prime Minister’s vision of enhancing inland waterways as an affordable and sustainable mode of transportation, outlined in the Maritime Amrit Kaal Vision 2047.
- Sagarmala Project: To accelerate water transport within the country, the Sagarmala project has undertaken several projects related to RoRo/RoPax and Inland Water Transport, contributing to the growth of this sector.
- Enhancing Inland Waterways: The plan includes increasing the number of operational waterways to 23 by 2030 and more than 50 by 2047, contributing to the overall enhancement of inland waterways in the country.
- Cargo Volume Increase: The collaboration is poised to increase the volume of cargo transported through inland waterways, contributing to the Ministry’s target of more than 200 MMT by 2030 and over 500 MMT by 2047.
- Green and Resilient Logistics: By exploring and implementing state-of-the-art solutions, this partnership aims to contribute to a greener and more resilient logistics ecosystem, aligning with global sustainability goals.
Amazon Multimodal Approach
Amazon’s collaboration with IWAI allows leveraging various transport modes, ensuring faster, cost-effective, and sustainable delivery. The partnership is not only advantageous for Amazon but also opens new possibilities for all e-commerce companies to utilize India’s extensive inland waterways.
Vision for the Future
As of 2023, Inland Waterways handled 126 MMT of cargo. The Maritime India Vision 2030 aims to exceed 200 MMT by 2030 and surpass 500 MMT by 2047. Plans include increasing operational waterways to 23 by 2030 and over 50 by 2047.
Towards a Greener Future
The collaboration between IWAI and Amazon is poised to set a precedent for e-commerce cargo movement through Inland Waterways Transport (IWT).Both entities are committed to exploring innovative solutions, contributing to a more sustainable and resilient logistics ecosystem.
A Paradigm Shift in Cargo Movement
The MoU between IWAI and Amazon signifies a paradigm shift in cargo movement strategies. This collaboration not only boosts the efficiency of e-commerce logistics but also aligns with broader environmental and economic goals, marking a transformative chapter for India’s inland waterways.