Friday, March 1, 2024
HomeNewsGovernor RN Ravi Asserts Autonomy of State Universities Against Common Syllabus Implementation

Governor RN Ravi Asserts Autonomy of State Universities Against Common Syllabus Implementation

Governor RN Ravi in a letter to the Vice-Chancellors of state universities sad That state government’s Higher Education ministry lacks the authority to enforce a uniform syllabus

Chennai,22 August(City Times): In a significant move, Governor RN Ravi has delivered a firm message to the Vice-Chancellors of state universities. In a letter, he emphasized that the state government’s Higher Education ministry lacks the authority to enforce a uniform syllabus. Ravi’s assertion rests on the fact that the responsibility of determining standards for higher education falls within the purview of the Union List. Moreover, he underscored that the University Grants Commission (UGC) mandates that syllabi should be crafted in alignment with its issued guidelines.

Academic Concerns Echoed: Opposition to Common Syllabus

Governor Ravi’s letter came in response to a chorus of concerns raised by vice-chancellors and college principals. They vociferously expressed their apprehensions that the proposed move would unduly infringe upon their cherished academic freedom. Their collective viewpoint was that the envisaged common syllabus fell short of the standards they are currently maintaining.

Potential Ramifications on Rankings: An Added Concern

Another pressing issue highlighted by educationists is the possible adverse impact on the rankings of state universities under the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF). This concern adds weight to the apprehensions against the enforced common syllabus.

The Design of the Common Syllabus: TN State Council’s Involvement

The development of the common syllabus has been steered by the Tamil Nadu State Council for Higher Education. Under this proposal, a significant 75 per cent of the syllabus is designated as uniform across all universities. However, a degree of flexibility is maintained, allowing universities to make alterations in the remaining 25 per cent to suit their individual academic requirements.

Resistance and Protest: Faculty Voices Amplified

Notably, this move has sparked considerable opposition and has manifested in organized protests. One noteworthy example is the Joint Action Council of College Teachers (JAC), which orchestrated a hunger strike in July as a testament to their strong dissent against the idea of a common syllabus.

You May Like This News: Industry Minister TRB Rajaa Said-Tamil Nadu Aims for $1 Trillion Economy with ‘Industry 4.0’ Approach

You May Like This Hindi News

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments