Guindy Railway Station Redevelopment: Guindy Railway Station, strategically positioned in the heart of Chennai.
Guindy Railway Station Redevelopment: Station serves as a vital gateway to prominent educational institutions like Anna University and IIT Madras
Guindy Railway Station Redevelopment: Under the Amrit Bharat Station Scheme, Guindy Station is undergoing a transformative makeover with a budget of Rs.13.50 Crores.
Chennai, 01 December (City Times): Chennai’s dynamic and bustling railway network, a lifeline for millions of daily commuters, is undergoing a significant transformation. Two prominent stations, Guindy and St. Thomas Mount, situated along the Chennai Beach- Chengalpattu section, are set to evolve into state-of-the-art railheads as part of the ambitious Amrit Bharat Station Scheme. This initiative, driven by Indian Railways, aims to redefine the passenger experience by upgrading infrastructure, ambience, and amenities at railway stations, offering a holistic and positive travel experience.
Significance of Chennai Beach- Chengalpattu Section
The Chennai Beach- Chengalpattu section is the busiest route within the Chennai Division, handling lakhs of passenger footfalls every day. Considering its strategic importance and the daily influx of commuters, it becomes imperative to enhance the railway infrastructure for a seamless and comfortable travel experience.
Guindy Railway Station Redevelopment
Guindy Railway Station, a vital railhead in the heart of Chennai, is poised for a comprehensive makeover under the Amrit Bharat Station Scheme. With a staggering daily footfall of more than 60,000, Guindy serves as a gateway to renowned educational institutions such as Anna University and IIT Madras. It is also notable for hosting the Guindy Race Club, Guindy National Park, and the popular Phoenix Mall.
Planned Redevelopment Works at Guindy Station
- New Booking Office: A new booking office will be established on the GST road side, featuring an elegant façade to streamline ticketing services.
- Circulating Area Improvements: The circulating areas on both the GST road side and the Racecourse side will witness enhancements, facilitating better vehicular and pedestrian movement.
- Public Toilets: To cater to passenger convenience, public toilets will be made available on both entries.
- Platform Resurfacing and Re-roofing: All platforms will undergo resurfacing, ensuring a smoother and safer experience for commuters. Additionally, platform shelters will be re-roofed for enhanced comfort.
- Two-Wheeler Parking: Recognizing the need for convenient parking, a designated two-wheeler parking area will be developed.
- Passenger Information Display: An improved passenger information display system will be introduced on platforms and concourse areas.
- CCTV Installation: The station will be equipped with a network of Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras to enhance security.
- Lift Provision: To ensure inclusivity and accessibility, lifts will be installed under the Foot over Bridges (FOBs).
Financial Allocation and Progress
The redevelopment plan for Guindy Railway Station comes with a financial allocation of Rs.13.50 Crores. The work is already in progress, with a targeted completion date by the end of the current financial year. The envisioned transformation aims to elevate Guindy into a modern railhead that meets global standards.
St. Thomas Mount Railway Station Redevelopment
St. Thomas Mount Railway Station, a bustling commercial hub facilitating swift connectivity across various parts of the city, is also poised for a massive transformation under the Amrit Bharat Station Scheme. Named after St. Thomas, one of the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ, the station holds historical and spiritual significance. With a daily footfall of over 30,000, St. Thomas Mount plays a pivotal role in Chennai’s suburban railway network.
Planned Redevelopment Works at St. Thomas Mount Station
- New Booking Offices: Two new booking offices will be established, streamlining ticketing services for the growing number of passengers.
- Circulating Area Revamp: The circulating areas will undergo redevelopment, enhancing the overall aesthetics and functionality.
- Platform Resurfacing and Re-roofing: Similar to Guindy, all platforms at St. Thomas Mount will undergo resurfacing for a smoother and safer travel experience. Platform shelters will also be re-roofed.
- Additional Platform Shelters: An expansion of platform shelters in PF no. 1A is planned to accommodate the increasing number of passengers.
- Two-Wheeler Parking: Dedicated two-wheeler parking areas will be developed on both sides of the station.
- New Second Entry: A new second entry from the CMRL side will be introduced, featuring a new booking office block, parking facilities, and pedestrian paths.
- Passenger Information Display and CCTV Installation: Similar to Guindy, St. Thomas Mount will witness the installation of an improved passenger information display system and CCTV cameras for enhanced security.
Intermodal Hub and Future Connectivity
St. Thomas Mount is positioned to become a significant intermodal hub, integrating suburban railway services, Metro, MRTS, and MTC transportation. The nearing completion of the Velachery – St. Thomas Mount MRTS Phase-II project adds to its importance as a transit hub.
Financial Allocation and Progress
The redevelopment plan for St. Thomas Mount Railway Station comes with a financial allocation of Rs.14.15 Crores. As with Guindy, the work is in progress, with a targeted completion date by the end of the current financial year.
Progress and Vision
Both Guindy and St. Thomas Mount railway stations’ redevelopment projects are well underway, with a shared goal of completion by the end of the financial year. The initiatives align with the broader vision of Indian Railways to provide passengers with world-class facilities and a positive travel experience.
The Amrit Bharat Station Scheme, with its focus on upgrading infrastructure and amenities, seeks to create a harmonious blend of modernity and functionality. These revamped railway stations will not only cater to the immediate needs of commuters but also contribute to the overall enhancement of travel comfort and convenience. Stay tuned for the unveiling of Guindy and St. Thomas Mount stations’ new avatars, shaping the future of rail travel in Chennai.