World Cup 2023 India vs Sri Lanka : Virat Kohli, Shubman Gill, and Shreyas Iyer were the top scorers
World Cup 2023 India vs Sri Lanka : Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Siraj made an impact early on, securing four vital wickets
Mumbai, 02 November(City Times):World Cup 2023 India vs Sri Lanka: In a thrilling match, India secured a place in the Cricket World Cup 2023 semi-finals with a commanding 302-run victory over Sri Lanka. This live update covers key moments, player performances, and records set during the game.
Mohammed Shami’s Spectacular Show
India’s Mohammed Shami showcased his bowling prowess by taking consecutive wickets, pushing Sri Lanka to the brink of collapse. Charith Asalanka and Dushan Hemantha’s dismissals highlighted the dramatic turn of events.
Early Strikes by Bumrah and Siraj
Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Siraj made an impact early on, securing four vital wickets for India. The Sri Lankan innings was off to a shaky start with Charith Asalanka and Angelo Mathews striving to stabilize it.
India’s Strong Batting Display
India posted an impressive total of 357/8 against Sri Lanka. Virat Kohli, Shubman Gill, and Shreyas Iyer were the top scorers, while Ravindra Jadeja’s contribution pushed India beyond 350. Dilshan Madhushanka was Sri Lanka’s standout bowler with figures of 5/80 in 10 overs.
Virat Kohli’s Milestone
Virat Kohli achieved a remarkable feat by surpassing Sachin Tendulkar’s record for the most runs in a single year in ODI cricket. However, he fell short of matching Sachin’s record of ODI centuries.
Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, and Shreyas Iyer’s partnerships fueled India’s total. The trio capitalized on the high-scoring conditions at the Wankhede Stadium.
Sri Lanka won the toss and chose to field at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. Shubman Gill and Rohit Sharma opened the batting for India, with Rohit departing early and Virat Kohli taking the crease in the first over.
India remains the only undefeated team in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023, with six consecutive victories. They are striving to become the first team to qualify for the semi-finals.
Key Players to Watch
Shreyas Iyer, playing on his home ground, faces high expectations, with a notable record of 134 runs in 6 matches. Sri Lanka, on the other hand, has had a turbulent tournament, with both defeats and impressive wins.
The Challenge for Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka’s World Cup journey has been marked by ups and downs. After early losses to South Africa, Pakistan, and Australia, they bounced back with strong performances, including a win over reigning champions England. However, a recent defeat to Afghanistan has put their World Cup hopes at risk.
Current World Cup Standings
Sri Lanka currently occupies the 7th position on the ICC World Cup Points Table, with 4 points and a net run rate of -0.275. They are determined to return to winning ways and stay alive in the tournament.
India’s World Cup Squad:
- Rohit Sharma (c)
- Shubman Gill
- Virat Kohli
- Shreyas Iyer
- KL Rahul (wk)
- Ravindra Jadeja
- Shardul Thakur
- Jasprit Bumrah
- Mohammed Siraj
- Kuldeep Yadav
- Mohammed Shami
- Ravichandran Ashwin
- Ishan Kishan (wk)
- Suryakumar Yadav
- Hardik Pandya
Sri Lanka’s World Cup Squad:
- Kusal Mendis (c&wk)
- Kusal Perera
- Pathum Nissanka
- Lahiru Kumara
- Dimuth Karunaratne
- Sadeera Samarawickrama
- Charith Asalanka
- Dhananjaya de Silva
- Maheesh Theekshana
- Dunith Wellalage
- Kasun Rajitha
- Angelo Mathews
- Dilshan Madushanka
- Dushan Hemantha
- Chamika Karunaratne
- Shreyas Iyer and Ravindra Jadeja’s efforts pushed India’s score to 357/8 after 50 overs.
- Sri Lankan openers Pathum Nissanka and Dimuth Karunaratne began their run chase.
- Jasprit Bumrah struck early, dismissing Pathum Nissanka.
- Mohammed Siraj’s three consecutive wickets included Dimuth Karunaratne, Kusal Mendis, and Sadeera Samarawickrama.
- Mohammed Shami also contributed to the Sri Lankan collapse by dismissing Charith Asalanka and Dushan Hemantha.
- Mohammed Shami’s fourth wicket marked a milestone as he became the highest wicket-taker for India in World Cup history, surpassing Zaheer Khan.
- India’s high-performing bowler also achieved the distinction of being the highest 5-wicket taker in ODIs for India.
- The lowest ODI scores in history were recalled, emphasizing Sri Lanka’s challenging situation.
- Ravindra Jadeja secured the final wicket, resulting in India’s victory by 302 runs, their seventh win in the World Cup. Stay tuned for more updates on the ongoing Cricket World Cup 2023.